Top Home Renovation Ideas 2021
2020 was a year when many of us spent a lot more time at home which gave us an opportunity to start home projects and contemplate projects for this year. What are Canadians prioritizing for home renovation in 2021?
Time at home has given many people the idea to create better home offices, home gyms and to add spa-like elements to their bathrooms. After a year when many businesses were closed, including gyms and spas, adding these elements to a home is an exciting way to have things you love right at your fingertips.
Here we will look at top home renovation and remodel trends to beautify your space this year.
Turn Your Bathroom Into an Oasis
With spas, salons and gyms closed or at limited capacity, now is the perfect time to convert your bathroom into a space where you can enjoy a relaxing soak in a free-standing tub or even a home sauna. If you’re looking for a bathroom renovation, consider these ideas:
- Bidet: Popular throughout Europe for decades, bidets are finally making their way to North America. Not only do bidets offer superior hygiene, they also cut down on waste associated with toilet paper.
- Wet Room: Convert your bathroom into a large shower room. With this design, your bathroom essentially becomes an open floor plan where the shower is at the same level as the rest of the bathroom. You can opt to install a shower door, but it is not necessary. This design both creates a more spa-like setting and is also good for anyone with mobility issues. Wet rooms also make a bathroom seem larger and eliminates the need for a glass shower door which can be difficult to clean.
- Touch Free Faucets: Once typically only found in public restrooms, touchless faucets are becoming more popular in homes. These faucets combined with touch free soap dispensers minimize the items you need to touch in the bathroom. This is added protection against germs which is a very attractive feature.
- Floating Vanities: Wall-mounted vanities which hover above the floor are a space-saving solution that can also make a bathroom feel less cramped.
- Countertops of Quartz: Sleek and clean, quartz is not only aesthetically pleasing it is also easy to care for and long-lasting. Quartz countertops will also resist staining and wipe up easily which makes them a win for homeowners who want to spend less time cleaning and more time enjoying their home.
Basement Renovation Home Gym
Gone are the days of a home gym consisting of a bench press in a grimy garage. Homeowners are now converting rooms and basements to give themselves a comfortable, stylish place to workout.
Incorporate elements like a big screen tv you can watch while getting your cardio. Simple solutions like a towel rack and mini fridge for water bottles can help bring the best parts of a gym into your home without the hassle of going out.
More than ever before, we need our homes to serve as a place where we can both work and play. Basement renovations, in particular, are a great place to create a recreation room.
A freshly finished basement can make the perfect area for adding a home entertainment system, gaming consoles, play area, gym, and more.
Recreation rooms can also help to create more separation between activities and areas in the home. Use soundproofing on your recreation room to provide a great place for kids and teens to hang out without interrupting you while you work from home.
Related Article: What is the Complete Pricing Estimate for Bathroom Renovations?
Environmentally-Friendly Home Renovations
As people become more aware of our effects on the planet, green solutions are finding their way into our home renovations. Consider these ideas that will make your home more environmentally friendly and energy-efficient:
- Solar Panels: Solar panels are easy to care for a green solution that will not only help the environment but also your wallet. Homeowners can expect to save up to 20% on their electricity.
- Insulation: Good insulation on a home will also save you money while helping the planet. Insulation will also make your home more comfortable by helping to regulate temperature.
- Maximize Light: Not keen on the look of solar panels? You can get similar benefits from a skylight. While it will not generate power the way a solar panel will, a skylight brightens your home without you having to turn on a light switch.
- Repurposed and Salvaged Pieces: To reduce the carbon footprint of your home renovation, consider looking for quality used furniture and supplies. You may even be able to repurpose elements of your own home in a new way.
Turn Your Basement into a Rental Space
Want to increase the value of your home while also making more money now? A basement renovation can transform your basement into a fully functional living space you can rent out. This can include adding a bathroom, kitchen and separate entranceway.
For the Home Office
If you are one of the millions of people who are working from home, a home office could be your best investment. Having a dedicated space to work may not only be good for your productivity but your overall well-being. A space that is separate from the rest of your home can help you to better separate your home and work life – something that can be very difficult to do when working from home.
- Optimized Lighting for Video Calls: When renovating your home office, consider where light comes into the room. For the best lighting during a call, you should avoid light that is directly behind you and, instead, comes from behind the camera. If there is a window in the room, you can set up your conference desk station facing that. Alternately, you can employ lighting that ensures you always look your best.
- Neutral Walls with Art: Neutral, light tones in your office can be calming while adding art will brighten the space. Natural tones and light woods can also create an office that feels bright and fresh. Alternately, you can choose darker neutral colors to create a cozy feeling. This can be especially helpful if you have a larger office.
- Soundproofing: Adding decorative sound absorption panels to your home office and surrounding rooms can help to cut down on noise and distractions while you work.
- Basement Home Office: One of the best ways to get separation between work and home life is to create an office that is distanced from your living area. With quality basement renovation, this space can be the ideal home office. Even if your current basement is unfinished, remodeling solutions can quickly add warm and inviting walls, flooring and even plumbing if needed.
- Office in Your Backyard: If your basement isn’t an option or you just prefer the outdoors, freestanding backyard offices are becoming more popular. Office pods range from simple, phone booth sized structures perfect for a single person to more elaborate pods that include plumbing and small kitchens. For a budget friendly option, a shed can be converted or an enclosed patio can be used.
Bonus: Home Renovation Trends to Leave Behind in 2021
While design is highly subjective and you should always strive to renovate and decorate the way you want, there are some designs that you may want to avoid. These once popular trends are no longer working with the changing ways we live and work.
- Open Floor Plans: Once ideal for creating an open, welcoming space, open floor plans do not work well for people working from home. With this style of floor plan, there is little separation between rooms which makes it extremely difficult to get a private home office.
- Low Quality Furniture: Fast furniture, furniture that is cheap and comes together quickly, has been a dominant force in design for many years for good reason. It’s affordable and accessible and gives homeowners flexibility to change their design more frequently. However, as we spend more time in our homes, higher quality items are becoming more desirable. Additionally, buying higher quality items means less waste as furniture will not wear out as quickly.
- Farmhouse Aesthetic: Modern Farmhouse aesthetic has had a good run as a go-to design choice. While this look may still work for a country home, seeing shiplap walls in suburban homes and urban studio apartments has definitely worn out its welcome.
Related Article: What is the Complete Cost of Home Renovations in Ontario?
How to Start Your Home Renovation in 2021
Ready to get started with the home renovation? Basement Finishing Company offers comprehensive home and basement renovation services. Our experienced team of contractors can help make your 2021 home renovation dreams come to life. Get started with a free estimate by calling us 1-647-370-9448